We would like to thank the Shipping community for their understanding and cooperation since the provisions for Classes 6 and 8 came into effect 1 December 2019.
During the first week we have seen the majority of the Import Hazardous containers of these classes cleared and VBS bookings made prior to discharge.
As a transit facility we must adhere to The Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Regulations 2017 and as such there will be no flexibility to hold these cargoes beyond the allowed 72 hours after discharge.
We will require a confirmed plan for the uplift of these classes prior to vessel ETA. If there is no plan or no VBS booking where containers are fully cleared, we will not be able to discharge these units from the vessel.
Once discharged, there will be significant penalties should these units extend the 72 hours.
- Lines will request Consignees to confirm, prior to discharge, their arrangements to uplift Class 6 or 8 hazardous containers from the port within the allowable time
- Where arrangements are not advised 24 hours prior to discharge, containers will not be planned for discharge. Our Customer Service team will work with you to assist where possible.
- Receival times must be arranged for delivery 48 hours prior to vessel arrival to allow for a delay in vessel arrival and/or the actual time a container is loaded on the vessel.
- In cases where export containers get rolled to a vessel with an ETA falling outside of 72 hours, such containers will need to be removed from the port to avoid breaching 72 hours rule.
- Transhipments for Classes 6 and 8 are subject to the same allowable dwell times.
- The ETA for the inbound and outbound vessels must not exceed 72 hours.
- It may be necessary to move transhipments to an off-wharf facility and return them in time for the outbound vessel.
- Responsibility to ensure confirmed arrangements for tranships staying beyond the allowable time rests with the inbound carrier.
At Fergusson Terminal there is a process by which transport companies can apply for priority VBS bookings to pick up and deliver Hazardous containers
Refer to our DG Handling processes here
For more information please contact:
P: +64 9 348 5100 Ext.1
Email us here
queries, please contact:
P: +64 9 348 5100 Ext.2
Email: [email protected]