September 18 is the anniversary of the founding of Auckland in 1840. To help mark this important day, Ports of Auckland and Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei built Te Toka o Apihai Te Kawau.
While we all celebrate Auckland's anniversary Day in January (when the weather is better), not many people know that Auckland (Tāmaki Makaurau) was actually founded on 18 September 1840.
After signing the Treaty of Waitangi, Ngāti Whātua, under Chief Apihai Te Kawau, made land available for British settlement on the Waitematā. On 18 September 1840 Crown representatives came to Auckland and a founding ceremony was held.
Te Toka o Apihai Te Kawau is located at the foot of what once was a bluff called Rerenga Ora Iti (Britomart Point), near where the British representatives reportedly came ashore.
Te Toka o Apihai Te Kawau is a place where all people can come and learn the history of Auckland-Tāmaki Makaurau on the edge of the Waitematā Harbour.
The memorial was unveiled earlier this year and video of that ceremony can be found here.